Search this site
Junior College Football
Cincinnati Climbs Past DePaul
This story originally published on
Posted Jan 15, 2013
The Blue Demons got off to a quick start at Allstate Arena, but in the end it was Cincinnati walking out of Allstate Arena with a Big East win tonight.
(10-7, 1-3) succumbed to
(15-3, 3-2) 75-70 tonight after jumping out to an early 9-0 run to start the game.
The Blue Demons struggled against the UC zone defense in the second half.
DePaul was cold from outside, shooting 14.3% from beyond the arc.
“We didn’t get a lot of production from our perimeter guys in particular,” said DePaul coach Oliver Purnell.
did manage a career-high 32 points to along with eight rebounds.
added 18 points and
scored 10 points on four of seven shooting from the floor.
Yet the Blue Demons didn’t get much help from the rest of their crew.
“We didn’t get enough production from enough guys,” said Purnell. “We need that. We need seven or eight guys to play well in a game like this to give us a great chance to win.”
DePaul was not able to capitalize on the absence of Cincy point guard
, who left the game with 15:12 to play in the second half with a knee injury.
The Demons did muster a late spurt that brought them to within three points with seven seconds remaining, but that rally proved to be too late.
The Bearcats had three players finish in double-figures.
Wright led the way with 20 points and seven assists before leaving the game.
contributed 18 points and
blocked seven shots which is the second largest number of blocks ever recorded at Allstate Arena.
“They’re a really good interior defensive team, because they have shot blockers, and they’re pretty strong and athletic on the perimeter,” Purnell said of the Bearcats.
The Blue Demons next face the Red Storm of St. John’s at Allstate Arena on Saturday in an early 11 a.m. start.
- 13 NBA scouts representing nine teams including former DePaul coach Joey Meyer and DePaul legend David Booth attended tonight’s game.
- Tuesday was the 50th all-time meeting between the two programs... Cincinnati leads the series by a 35-15 margin... the Bearcats have won five straight games in the series.
- DePaul gave up its largest lead of the season tonight of 11 points in the first half... previously, it was a 10-point lead at Chicago State on Dec. 5.
- Cincinnati’s Cheikh Mbodj set a new Allstate Arena record for an opponent with seven blocked shots... as a team, Cincinnati tied the arena opponent record with a combined 12 rejections... Southern posted 12 blocked shots on Dec. 19, 2008.
- Cleveland Melvin recorded a career-high with 32 points... it is his second game this season and third of his career with 30 or more points.
- Melvin moved into 25th all-time on DePaul's scoring list.
- Over the last three games, Brandon Young is 17-for-18 (.944) from the free throw line.
DePaul vs. Cincinnati Game Preview
Jan 14, 2013
DePaul vs. St. John’s Game Preview
Jan 18, 2013
St. John’s Holds on for 2nd Half Win
Jan 19, 2013
2014 Scout.com Recruiting Yearbook
with an annual Total Access Pass
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from USFNation.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Basketball > DePaul
View My HotList
Places to go:
Junior College Football
Things to do:
Things to buy:
Things to know:
Terms of Service
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2013 Microsoft